I hate Des Moines. I think it’s one of the most boring cities in the world. Apparently, it’s a really cool and trendy place now but I still think of it as the place where people go to die of boredom.
The only thing Des Moines has to offer? Cheap concerts. I drove the four hours back to the god forsaken town that is Des Moines to see Weezer and it was well worth it!
Yeah, I could have stayed up here in Minneapolis and seen them the night before at The Basilica Block Party but why spend $60 on the one night ticket, $20 for parking, $100 for drinks, $30 for food, etc. I saw Weezer for $45 (that my dad paid for because I’m super spoiled), didn’t have to pay for parking because my dad also acted as my personal driver, and only have to spend $40 on food and drink, which kept me full and drunk the whole day.
I’ve always wanted to see Weezer. They are legends. I remember falling in love with them this first time I saw their “Buddy Holly” music video. There was something about that geeky front-man with the thick rimmed glasses that I just couldn’t get out of my head. Their music is simple and fun. There’s nothing special about it, but it makes me smile and I love it.
The show last night was everything I could have wished for. Weezer played every single song that I wanted them to play. Rivers, the singer, had on those iconic thick rimmed glasses. I had a beer in my hand and smile on my face. I was with one of my best friends on the planet. I was belting out the words like it was my own audition to join the band as a back up singer. Life was good.
Weezer was only the main highlight for me. Their set was part of the 80/35 festival that’s held annually in Des Moines. I swore I would never go to this festival but when Weezer was announced, well, to hell with grudges against that town.
Here are some of my random thoughts from the day:
- Des Moines really is a pretty city. The park that the festival was held in was gorgeous and I felt safe all day even while wandering around on my own. (Please note: this does not mean I like Des Moines anymore.. just making a statement)
- Funk music is not my thing.
- Humidity does not add to the enjoyment of an outdoor festival. Although it was only 83 degrees, it felt like it was at least 12043 degrees and I was drenched in sweat within an hour of being down there.
- Props the the organizers for putting free water fill-up stations all over and making them easy to find.
- Thank God for cheap alcohol in Iowa. Everyone knows it’s only cheap because there’s nothing else to do there other than drink, but it was nice not spending hundreds of dollars on beer.
- Everyone needs to check out Amasa Hines. They are an awesome soul band that had me completely mesmerized.
- Iowa rap is a freaking joke
- Run The Jewels is an amazing rap group (it’s Killer Mike and El-P’s new project) but are they really appropriate for an all ages, “family” event?
- Drinking all day in the heat and not drinking water is the dumbest thing you could ever do. There were too many people puking and passing out all over the place. Hydrate people, hydrate and no, alcohol will not do the same as water.
- Canby… a local group in Des Moines. Check them out and love them. They were great!
- The Des Moines food trucks were there… I mean the 4 of them that they have. Nice try guys, time to step up your food truck game.
- What happens to that light up Weezer logo sign when the band is done? I’m calling dibs now!
All in all, it was a great day. I saw Weezer. I saw some old friends. I saw my family.
No, I’m not moving back to Des Moines anytime soon but you know what… kudos to you Des Moines. What a great festival over all for a great price.
Line Up: There’s too many to list for the whole line-up so here’s who I checked out!
Venue: Gateway Park in Des Moines, IA
Sausage Fest Meter- 4 out of 10
Crowd Surfers- Lost count after 23 and 8 beach balls
Broken Bones- None
Drunkards Taken Out By Security- None– they were just passed out on the ground everywhere
Found in the Pit- I didn’t go back to check
Spotted Flying Through the Air- Beer, Water, Beer, Beer, Beer