Don’t be “that guy” at a show. Please, for the love of God, do not be “that guy”.
What do I mean by “that guy”? Let me use some examples from last nights Alkaline Trio show..
The Overly Excited Mosher-
Don’t get me wrong, I get super excited when going to a show. I’ve been known to find myself in the pit at shows going nuts. That being said, there is a line that has to be drawn. Some kids just don’t know how to handle themselves in the pit so here are some pointers:
- Don’t be the guy that is constantly jumping up and down out of time. You look like a flying salmon.
- Don’t be the guy that is constantly pulling people into the pit who do not seem like they want to be in it. It takes a special kind to enjoy a pit.
- Don’t be the guy that pushes people on the edges of the pit with excessive force.
- Yes, we are all sweaty and feeling nasty, that does not mean you have to whip your hair back and forth and cover us all in your fresh sweat.
The Crowd Surfer That Shouldn’t-
I have only crowd surfed twice in my life. I’m not a fan of it. For those of you who do enjoy it, kudos! I wish I did! At the same time, I hate crowd surfers. They are the cause of majority of the injuries I see at shows (more on that at a later point). Here are some pointers to not becoming “that guy” when crowd surfing:
- There is a weight and height restriction to crowd surfing. Last night there was a giant trying to crowd surf and as funny as it was to watch, it was downright dangerous for him and the crowd. If you were wondering, apparently the height restriction is 5’10”, according to a friend of mine.
- When crowd surfing at a small venue, please know that you have nowhere to go. You will not be allowed to “hang out” on stage. You will be ripped off the stage and forced to go back into the crowd.
- You will lose your phone, hat, wallet, and shoes, you just better hope people are nice enough to give them back to you.
One other note, please do not be “that guy” that takes the lyrics of the songs too seriously. Alkaline Trio has a song called Maybe I’ll Catch Fire. This does not mean that it would be a good idea to pull a lighter out and start trying to start your flannel shirt on fire. Common sense people, common sense.
So please, at the next show you go to, do not become “that guy”. Nobody will want to hang out with you and you may get your butt kicked if you piss off the wrong person.
Alkaline Trio— 2 nights down, 2 to go!
Sausage Fest Meter- 7 out of 10
Crowd Surfers- 1, 1 really obnoxious crowd surfer
Broken Bones- None; but I did see someone take a nasty hit to the head
Drunkards Taken Out By Security- None
Found in the Pit- 1 broken cell phone
April 29, 2015 at 5:58 pm
I’m thinking of getting you a library card or a Nook. I’m starting to worry about your safety at all these shows, sweetie. Stay safe. XO, Mom
April 29, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Hahaha don’t worry about me!!! I can hold my own!
May 12, 2015 at 1:41 am
*dancing =/= fighting.